Sunday, June 8, 2008

Lessons and pictures

I hope you all don't mind if I blog basically.....every day.... haha. I can't help it! I just want to share!

Yesterday was Joanna's farewell party, and I thought it was beautiful. I loved to hear what all of the students had to say about her. I could tell that every person there really cares about her a lot.

(at the party)


Later, Aiko, Ashley and me went grocery shopping because we were out of food!!! And Aiko taught us how to make okonomiyaki...which is SO GOOD (maybe it's just because Aiko cooked it.... ^_^)

(okonomiyaki)


(Aiko with okonomiyaki)


Today we had a big group shopping day planned with some of the girls. There were about 10 people there... Me, Ashley, Aiko, Naoko, Ikumi, Chiemi, Ryoko, Misaki, Nanako, and Saaya. It was so much fun! I was so happy to have something much more relaxing and rejuvanating to do with the girls. Because of this, we had much more time to bond, and it was a very good time!

There was also a lady with a monkey doing tricks outside...:


On the way home, Ashley and I saw Nanako on her motor bike! So, we all got to walk home together because she lives very close. Annnd we took some pictures!!!!:

(Nanako and me!):



Umm....and here are some more pictures I didn't post from before....
(Shinjuku...from when we were on the train to Tama...oh, and Ashley making a funny face ^_^)


(Tama Center stores)


(Yes, Tama City is Hello Kitty's home...)


(After Shaberanaito, we hung out for a little while, so this is one of my roommates, Ayano, me, and Ayumi)


:)


Oh, and for lessons...I may have promised that...

Two things that I have been learning. One is that maybe I am not incompetent...or maybe I am, but God inside of me is not, and has a purpose for me being here and being on this team. Often I feel quite discouraged at my weaknesses and inabilities and cannot see my strengths. However, my roommates are very encouraging :). I have also been learning a lot about humility. I think I have learned so much about that here... I have learned about myself that usually when I am uncomfortable in situations and don't want to do things, it is not because they are bad things, it is because I am prideful and trying to avoid humility. This is a difficult lesson, but I continue to see it in many things I do and think, and I am quite convicted to change somehow...or perhaps watch as God changes me...

These verses have stood out to me recently:
Matthew 26:41 (Jesus is talking to the disciples as they wait for Him when He prays at Gethsemane, and they keep falling asleep)
"'Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation The spirit is willing, but the body is weak'"
*I have been thinking about how weak my body is. I am very tired, and consistently feeling very prone to sins of pride by means of self-pity. However, God gave me this verse that I want to memorize to pray that I do not fall into temptation to give up pursuing Him.

John 13:17
"'Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them.'"
*I think that speaks for itself... ^_^

Mata ne!

3 comments:

Christy said...

Yay! Thank you for the pictures and updates!

All okonomiyaki is good, so I'm sure Aiko's was awesome.

::sniff:: Joanna...

looks like you're off to a good, yet tiring, start. Yes, you'll see that God's your strength when you are weak. you've given us a sweet reminder..

Anonymous said...

Hey Susan, this is Alvin. Im so excited that you are finally in Japan now. I want to go to Japan too -_- but i must wait 3 more months. Im glad your program has some cool people and Ill pray that you will have alot of fun and impact someone's life. Also, dont beat yourself up on your weaknesses, because if you think about it who doesnt?? Also, showing humility might seem hard but Im sure you will let yourself out more. Why do you think me and Saki's relationship was so good? It was because I let myself out more to her and she did the same. Heck, I even told her things I wouldnt tell no one else. Telling people your secrets sometimes strenghens your friendship with them, helps them out, helps you out, and makes you more trusting to God.
Other than that,keep posting. Im going to be your number one.....blog fan o_0

spartacus21 said...

don't let Satan fol you by saying you don't belong there...he tends to do that! you are so precious soozan! press on!